Saturday 1 December 2012

Random rain

Despite mixed reviews, I was curious to check out the latest instalment from Random International, a design group based in Chelsea. And it seems I wasn't the only one - on a Thursday night I queued for 90 minutes to get the chance to experience the Rain Room at the Barbican, an exhibition which allows visitors to 'control' the rain.


The installation itself is actually pretty simple - it's essentially a massive shower. However, through in some light / motion sensors, a dark room and a bright light, and all of a sudden the exhibition gets a little bit cooler. 

Visitors were able to walk through the rain and watch as the rain magically stopped wherever they were. It looked, and felt, as though you were in the middle of a storm and yet miraculously you were dry. Or dry enough (there was a little bit of drippage).

Was it worth queueing for 90 minutes? I wouldn't do it again, but I am glad I saw the exhibition. I just wish there had been fewer people in the room at the same time as me, as it struck me as a great place to contemplate anything on your mind.

On the plus side, it's good fun and completely free. And gives you a great excuse to visit the Barbican, see the architecture, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy a drink or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment